I have been on somewhat of a potato kick recently. No explanation is offered by me. These things only occur every once in awhile.
My latest spud endeavor, in part, comes from a restaurant down the street. For the past several months, they have had freshly made potato chips as a rotating appetizer. They’re fantastic and, I also decided, perfect for the grill, after downing a pint of beer.
Instead of frying, I opted for planking and parboiling. The parboil helps the cooking process, along with the board that is smoldering adds another tier of flavor. I wasn’t certain what to call these. Are they perhaps planked scalloped potatoes, or potato chips? Call it what you will, I simply like to eat them.
2 medium sized russet potatoes (cut into 1/8 slices)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cedar planks, soaked in water for at least an hour
1. I highly recommend using a mandolin, for slicing the potatoes. It makes prep time more efficient and certainly more precise…only see those fingers.
2. Put the sliced potatoes into a big pot of boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes then promptly drop potatoes and, to stop the cooking, cool under running cold water.
3. Put the potato slices on the boards that are saturated once cool. Maximize potato to wood contact as much as you can, understanding some piling of potatoes will happen.
Season equally with salt and pepper.
4. Mix the garlic as well as olive oil in a little bowl together. Brush the olive oil mixture on the potatoes.
6. On the grill, directly over the coals, place the planks together with the grill heated, and lower the lid. Grill for approximately 30 minutes, basting the potatoes together with the olive oil garlic concoction every 10 minutes.
7. If you prefer an even more crispy potato, move the boards and grill an additional 10-15 minutes.
This is really a simple side dish that packs a whole lot of flavor and finest yet, could be topped with just about anything.
Also, if you’re wondering where you have seen them before, they were front in center in my own Nighttime in the Grill video!